I grew up on macaroni and cheese. Not the homemade kind, but Kraft Mac & Cheese with the neon orange powdered cheese sauce that contain a laundry list of scary, high FODMAP ingredients. Even though I know how terrible it is for me, it’s hard not to crave it at times.
Ever since I went gluten free years ago, I have had this go-to version of gluten free “macaroni” and cheese. I finger quote “macaroni” simply because I have never used actual macaroni noodles, but that really doesn’t matter. I had to make a few tweaks to the recipe when I started on the low FODMAP diet, but it’s still just as good!
Low FODMAP Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 8 oz Gluten Free Macaroni or Pasta (I use Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Fusilli)
- 3/4 Cup Rice Milk (or any other Lactose Free Milk)
- 1 Tablespoon Lactose Free Butter
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese (I use 1/2 Cup Cheddar & 1/2 Cup Parmesan)
- 1 Tablespoon Gluten Free Flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour or Trader Joe’s Brand)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Gluten Free Asafoetida Powder (Garlic & Onion Replacement)
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta over high heat.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat Milk in a small saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add Butter to the warm Milk.
- Once the Butter is melted, remove from heat and stir in the Gluten Free Flour, Salt and Pepper to the mixture.
- Once mixed, stir in the Cheese.
- When Pasta is finished cooking, drain (do not rinse in cold water).
- Combine the Pasta and Cheese mixture.
Makes 2 servings.
- You can add almost anything to this low FODMAP pasta dish based on your tastes. I have added a variety of spices and foods, including Chives, Green Onions (green part only), Parsley, Oregano, Cayenne Pepper, Olives, Diced Jalapenos, Bacon, Ground Beef or Turkey and Crushed Red Pepper.
Like this recipe? Let me know what you think and explore more low FODMAP recipes.