Many people ask me… “so what CAN you eat?” Great question from those who are unfamiliar with my diet, but I don’t think they really understand how a question like that can impact someone with dietary restrictions in a negative way. Usually, I just say “plenty of fresh foods” and that ends the conversation without getting too graphic.
However, for those that are on the low FODMAP diet, I often get the question of “what are your favorite low FODMAP items?” That question I am happy to answer with a long list that mirrors my weekly shopping list. I have also provided some information on getting started and sample low FODMAP meals which can be a great way to ease into the diet.
You’ll notice that I shop frequently at Trader Joe’s and have come to find some great, low cost, hidden gems. Luckily, Trader Joe’s is located 3 blocks from my apartment, but if you’re not as lucky to have a TJ’s in your area, you can most likely find similar products elsewhere, but they may cost a bit more.
My Favorite Low FODMAP Items:
Breads & Cereals:
- Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread Hands down, my favorite bread! It freezes and thaws very well.
- Rudis Gluten Free Tortilla, Plain
- Udi’s Gluten Free Pizza Crust
- Udi’s Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
- EnviroKidz Organic Gorilla Munch Simply delicious. It reminds me of Kix that I loved as a kid.
- Envirokidz Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs Cereal
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Gluten Free Cereal
Meats & Protein:
- Fresh or Frozen Chicken
- Fresh Ground Turkey
- Fresh Sliced Ham Ensure it doesn’t contain honey.
- Fresh Sliced Turkey Breast
- Extra Large Eggs Extra large eggs are better for gluten free baking over medium or large eggs.
Starches & Grains:
- Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice Fusilli. Only $1.99/pound! I use this for all my pasta needs. It’s great in soup.
- Potatoes I buy them in the 10lb bag.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice In the freezer section. Heats in the microwave in 3 minutes.
- Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown or White Rice Cups Great for a work lunch/snack.
- Uncle Ben’s Original Long Grain Brown or White Ready Rice
- Betty Crocker Mashed Potato Buds
Fruits & Vegetables:
- Fresh Lettuce
- Fresh Spinach
- Fresh Baby Carrots
- Fresh Cucumbers
- Fresh Red Bell Peppers
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Trader Joe’s Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chiles (Canned)
- Del Monte Petite Diced Tomatoes(Canned)
- Canned Sliced Black Olives
- Fresh Chives
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Cilantro
Sauces & Spices:
- Progresso Tuscany Chicken Broth I have not yet found this in stores, so I purchased this online.
- Mantova Extra Virgin Garlic Flavored Olive Oil
- Mantova Balsamic Vinegar
- Mantova Red Wine Vinegar
- Mantova White Wine Vinegar
- San-J Organic Tamari Soy Sauce Naturally gluten free. This is located in the regular aisles, not the special diet section of stores.
- Gluten Free Asafoetida Powder Ensure it’s made with rice flour and not with wheat flour. I went all around town looking for this, and finally bought it online. You can find it at HerbStop and Spices, Inc.
- Dried Spices (Basil, Oregano, Parsley, Cayenne Pepper, Chipotle Powder, Cumin, Paprika, etc.) Ensure there is no garlic or onion mixed in.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Rice Milk
- Rice Dream Rice Milk
- Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- Cheddar Cheese (Sliced, Shredded & Brick)
- Breyer’s Lactose Free Ice Cream (Vanilla & Chocolate)
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips I keep these in the freezer for a quick chocolate treat. Also great in cookies!
Baked Goods & Baking Ingredients:
- Gluten Free Bisquick This product is very versatile and can be used to cook a number of delicious things.
- Trader Joe’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour
- Bob’s Red Mill Xanthan Gum You’ll need this to pair with any flour that doesn’t currently contain it. It’s expensive initially, but it lasts a very long time.
- Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Crispy Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies. Amazing. Simply Amazing. You have to try these.
- Glutino Gluten Free Lemon Wafer Cookies These are very delicious! It’s one of my guilty pleasures.
- Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix These are ideal to take to parties. No one knows they’re gluten free!
- Glutino Gluten Free Pretzels A favorite of mine! Most people don’t even know they’re Gluten Free!
- Popchips, Original These are ideal in a pinch at an airport or gas station. Trader Joe’s also has a brand that works, too.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Popcorn with Olive Oil
- Trader Joe’s Original Kettle Corn
- Trader Joe’s Reduced Guilt Kettle Cooked Potato Chips Due to the fat content, I limit my servings of this.
- Crunchmaster Original Gluten Free Multi-Seed Crackers My go-to cracker with sliced cheese.
- Nature Valley Roasted Nut Crunch Granola Bars (Peanut Butter & Almond) I always have one of these with me. They are delicious and convenient. However, these do contain almonds (fructans). They don’t affect me too much, but if they do to you, avoid them.
- Heather’s Tummy Teas Organic Peppermint Tea Bags
- Bigelow Peppermint Herbal Tea
- Vitamin Water Zero This has less than 1% natural flavors, which could be a negative, but I’ve never had issues.
- Powerade Zero Similar to Vitamin Water Zero, this has less than 1% natural flavors.
- Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice
- Altoids Curiously Strong Peppermints Most gum and mints don’t work due to the sorbitol, but these are the ideal breath fresheners.
- Heather’s Tummy Tamers Peppermint Oil Capsules Studies have shown that peppermint soothes cramps and eases abdominal pain within the digestive tract, so I take these before risky meals or when I am not feeling my best.
- Konsyl Natural Fiber Supplement My doctor suggested this and I saw significant improvement (prior to going on the low FODMAP diet). I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Nature Made Fish Oil with Omega-3 There’s so many benefits to this supplement and since I am not a big seafood eater, I don’t get fish oil naturally.
Got a product that you think I will like? I would love to hear about it!