Ahh… childhood comfort foods. Many of the foods that I grew up loving, Kraft Mac & Cheese, Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup and Tuna Noodle Casserole, are no longer options without severely modifying the recipe.
However, scrambled eggs is one of my comfort foods from childhood. My grandma made them for me whenever I stayed overnight at her house, and she taught me the how to make them so fluffy and delicious. Now that she has passed, I get emotional every time I make them. And luckily, I still can and stay within the guidelines of the low FODMAP diet.
While I have modified the recipe, it still reminds me of Grandma. I don’t use the butter or cream, and I try to use egg whites as much as possible to stay on the healthier side of things. Before the low FODMAP diet, I used to add grilled onions and garlic seasoning. While I can’t do that any more, I have substituted chives and garlic infused olive oil.
Low FODMAP Scrambled Eggs Recipe:
- 2 Eggs or 1 Whole Egg & 2 Egg Whites
- 1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Black Olives, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Rice Milk (or any other Lactose Free Milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chives or 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- On stovetop, grill diced Red Bell Pepper in Olive Oil in a pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together Eggs, Black Olives, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Chives, Oregano, Parsley and half of the Shredded Cheese.
- When Red Bell Pepper is thoroughly grilled, add egg mixture to pan with the heat on medium
- Allow mixture to sit a moment, and then use spatula to continually stir eggs and scape the bottom of the pan.
- When all eggs are thoroughly cooked, sprinkle the remaining Shredded Cheese on top.
- After cheese has melted, use spatula to move to plate.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Perfect portion for 1 serving.
- For a spicier mix, add Diced Jalapenos, Diced Banana Peppers, Diced Green Chilis or Crushed Red Pepper.
- Garlic Infused Olive Oil is a great addition because it adds the garlic flavor without adding the Fructans.
Like this recipe? Let me know what you think and explore more low FODMAP recipes.
Very sweet to see your photograph