Salsa could easily be my favorite food. There’s something so wonderful about it that seems to bring a crowd together. I’ve never heard anyone say they didn’t like it. It goes with anything and everything.
Store bought salsas always contain onion and/or garlic, which makes them a high FODMAP food. To align with the low FODMAP diet, I created this recipe that I have used very often. It’s delicious, quick and easy, versatile and can be easily modified to fit anyone’s tastes. Plus, tortilla chips are usually a low FODMAP food, so you’ve got an easy snack or party food to take with you.
Low FODMAP Salsa Recipe
- 14.5 oz Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chiles (Check the ingredients. It’s common for this to contain garlic and/or onion. Trader’s Joe’s has a perfect one. If you can’t find one, diced tomatoes will work, just amp up the spices.)
- 14.5 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes, Drained (Check the ingredients. It’s common for this to contain garlic and/or onion. I use Del Monte Petite Diced Tomatoes.)
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Green Onions, Diced (Green Part Only)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chives, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, Diced (Dried Parsley can be an easy substitute.)
- 1 Lime (Juice Only. 1 teaspoon of lime juice can be substituted.)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder (Chipotle Pepper or another FODMAP free spice can be substituted.)
- Add Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Green Chiles (including juice) to bowl.
- Squeeze in the juice of 1 Lime.
- Stir in all other ingredients.
- Mix well. Taste to see if any modifications need to be made (my favorite part).
- The salsa can be served immediately, but the flavors blend a little better if you cover in an air-tight container and refrigerate for 2 or more hours.
Make about 2.5 Cups of salsa.
- This is a very versatile low FODMAP salsa recipe and can be used for a number of things. It goes well on grilled chicken, mixed with rice, over gluten free pasta, on tortilla chips, with tacos, as a marinade, etc.
- This salsa is a bit zesty, so if you like things a bit more mild, eliminate or limit the Chili Powder.
- For those who like a hotter salsa, you can add more Chili Powder, Banana Peppers, Jalapenos, Crushed Red Pepper, additional Diced Green Chiles or any other spice that fits your mood.
- Keeps about a week in the refrigerator.
Like this recipe? Let me know what you think and explore more low FODMAP recipes.