Being gluten free for years, I perfected my homemade chicken soup recipe since most canned soups contain gluten. When I embarked on the low FODMAP diet, I was very worried that I wouldn’t be able to modify this recipe to work…. until I found Progresso Tuscany Chicken Broth, which doesn’t contain garlic or onion. I haven’t yet found this in stores, so I buy it from Amazon. This allows me to make broth without the hassle of a using whole chicken.
I make a large batch of my low FODMAP chicken broth and freeze it for later use in my delicious chicken noodle soup. I found out very early that rice noodles, rice and/or chicken do not freeze and reheat well within the broth, so I add them when I am ready to eat them instead. This new version of my low FODMAP chicken broth doesn’t even make me miss my old version loaded with garlic, onion and celery!
Low FODMAP Chicken Broth Recipe
- 3 32oz Containers of Progresso Tuscany Chicken Broth
- 1 Bunch of Raw Carrots, Diced (8-10 Large Carrots)
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions, Diced (Green Part Only)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chives, Diced
- 3 Tablespoons Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 3 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Asafoetida Powder (Garlic & Onion Replacement)
- 2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 2 teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Add all ingredients into a large stock pot.
- Cover, and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once carrots have softened, remove from heat and allow broth to cool.
- Divide into 2-3 Cup-sized Tupperware containers and place in freezer. Makes about 4-5 portions.
- If planning to serve as soup immediately, follow the Low FODMAP Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe.
- This chicken broth is a bit zesty, so if you like things a bit more mild, limit the spices used.
- This chicken broth is very concentrated, so prior to eating, it should be diluted with water as described in the Low FODMAP Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe.
Like this recipe? Let me know what you think and explore more low FODMAP recipes.