It’s Cinco de Mayo and we’re hosting a Mexican Fiesta Party at our place today. I was looking for an easy Mexican recipe that could be used as a taco dip with tortilla chips or wrapped in a soft tortilla shell. To make it convenient to serve while people come and go, I wanted it to be warming constantly in a crock pot. It’s important that it adhere to the low FODMAP diet since 2 our of guests also struggle with IBS. And, of course, it should be delicious for everyone at the party!
While I didn’t find the ideal taco dip recipe anywhere that met the above guidelines, I decided to create my own. I was a little nervous creating something completely new, but it turned out to be amazing and delicious! I got rave reviews on the Mexican Taco Dip and was asked for my recipe multiple times. So, here it is…
Low FODMAP Crock Pot Mexican Taco Dip Recipe:
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (Ground Beef Can be Substituted)
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil (Try Garlic Infused Olive Oil for a Great Flavor)
- 2 14.5 oz Cans of Diced Tomatoes, Drained (Check the ingredients. It’s common for this to contain garlic and/or onion. I use Del Monte Petite Diced Tomatoes.)
- 1/2 Cup Black Olives
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chives
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Dice Red Bell Pepper into small pieces.
- On stovetop, grill Ground Turkey and diced Red Bell Pepper in Olive Oil in a pan.
- Add Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Paprika, Oregano, Parsley and Cayenne Pepper to pan.
- While grilling, dice Cilantro, Chives and Black Olives into small pieces. Set Aside.
- When Ground Turkey is cooked thoroughly, move it, the peppers and spices to medium-sized crock pot, turned on high.
- Add diced Cilantro, diced Chives, diced Black Olives, Diced Tomatoes and Shredded Cheese to crock pot.
- Mix thoroughly and cover crock pot.
- Stir sporadically for the next hour and then turn crock pot to low.
- Drain any excess oil.
- Serve with tortilla chip, corn tortilla shells and/or taco shells.
- Continue to stir sporadically throughout the party and after 3-4 hours (or when its gone), turn crock pot off.
- For a spicier mix, add more Cayenne Pepper or add Diced Jalapenos, Diced Banana Peppers, Diced Green Chilis or Crushed Red Pepper.
- Garlic Infused Olive Oil is a great addition because it adds the garlic flavor without adding the Fructans.
- I ate mine sprinkled over tortilla chips (like nachos). Yum!
Like this recipe? Let me know what you think and explore more low FODMAP recipes.
I made this and it turned out great but the cheese came out chunky and not smooth. I think the problem was using cheddar and mozzarella blend. What cheeses did you use? Thanks!
I believe I used a shredded cheddar.
Dr. Just started me on low fodmap and I am confused about what cheese you can have says Swiss but that has milk….
Hard cheeses, including Swiss, are fine in moderation due to the low lactose levels. This is a helpful guide of the lactose quantities in foods, so you can understand why certain foods are OK, while others you should stay away from.