After being gluten free for two years prior to switching to the low FODMAP diet, I was used to eating salads on a daily basis, which I really enjoyed. When I switched diets, I knew I would no longer be able to enjoy raw onions or garlic seasoning on my salads, but was devastated when I realized by beloved Kraft Zesty Italian Fat Free Salad Dressing would have to be eliminated, as well.
If you’re looking for a salad dressing that doesn’t contain garlic and/or onion, I can save you a lot of time and heartache… there aren’t any. I spent about an hour looking at every salad dressing label in my grocery store and by the last bottle, I was defeated. However, I picked up a bottle of balsamic vinegar and some garlic infused olive oil while at the store and was determined to continue to enjoy salads with my own dressing recipe.
What I discovered was unbelievable… not only was the recipe very simple when I finally perfected it, but it was better than any store bought dressing I have every tried!
FODMAP Free Balsamic Salad Dressing Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (Try Garlic Infused Olive Oil for an Extra Kick)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Chives or 2 teaspoons Fresh Chives
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar (optional – I don’t use it because I like things a little tart.)
- Prior to making your salad, put all ingredients into a small tupperware container.
- Close tupperware and shake vigorously.
- Make salad.
- Shake tupperware vigorously.
- Pour onto salad.
Makes enough for 1 large salad or 2 side salads.
- This recipe is approximately 175 calories. If you want to reduce the calories by 55, limit the olive oil to 1/2 Tablespoon and replace it with 1/2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar.
- When making this FODMAP free dressing, it is best to let it sit for awhile after combining the ingredients to let the spices blend properly. I find it is best when I make it in the morning and take it to work with my salad. Then it has a good 5 hours to blend. However, it is still good after a few minutes.
- Please feel free to modify as you wish, I like things a little spicy and tart, so if this is not your tastes, please scale back on the spices.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes can be added to give it a little more spice.
- Not only do I make this as a salad dressing, it is my go-to marinade and sauce.
- When eating out, I will make this ahead of time and take it with me. It fits perfectly into a purse!
- This FODMAP free dressing will keep for about 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, you can’t make a bunch and store in the fridge (personal fail) because it will go bad.
Like this recipe? Let me know what you think and explore more low FODMAP recipes.